Weston Public Library History
The Weston Library dates back to 1912 when Mrs. Norah Watts, wife of Dr. Watts and Mrs. George Proebstel, wife of ex-Senator Proebstel, circulated a petition for a small tax levy to finance it. This levy passed and a tea was held with the admission being one book to secure more library books.
The first library was opened in the D.B. Jarman Department Store. Eliza Morrison, (Mrs. L.L. O’Harra), who clerked at the Jarman Store, was the first librarian.
The library was moved to the Wheeler Building on Water Street, then to the Normal School brick dormitory, and to its present site in 1933 in Dr. Watts’ office on Water Street.